Date: 10 – 20 July 2011
Deadline: 15 April 2011
Open to: postgraduates and young academics, young administration professionals from the European Union and Southeastern and Eastern Europe
The programme is designed for postgraduates and young academics, young administration professionals, preferably working at municipal/local level and collaborators of non-governmental organisations from the European Union and Southeastern and Eastern Europe.
The programme is designed as a 10 days modular course covering one topic per day, combining plenary lecture sessions in the mornings and afternoon workshops dedicated to the implementation of the theoretical lessons.
Participants to the programme will learn through a combination of traditional and interactive teaching methods, with an emphasis on the practical cases. This approach to learning combined with a interdisciplinary background of participants as well as lecturers will facilitate capacity building and networking among the participants.
Through its interdisciplinary approach, the summer academy will offer its participants a forum to discuss human security issues in their studies and work and deepen their knowledge and understanding in the field human rights implementation. The summer academy will be a valuable opportunity to learn different approaches to the topic.
Topics and workshops
* Concepts of human security
* The interdependency of concepts: Human rights, human security and human rights education
* Challenges to human dignity and human security: Poverty and exclusion
* Re-build my town!
* Challenges to human dignity and human security, racism and the “old” and “new” minorities
* Challenges to human dignity and human security: Right wing extremism
* Reasoning strategies against hate speech
* Human (in)securities in the past
* Local strategies for human rights and human security: The concepts of human rights cities and the Coalition for Cities against Racism
* Building a culture of human rights: Human rights education strategies
* Learning by doing: interactive theatre as a participatory instrument
Tuition fee and payment conditions
The tuition fee is 600,- EUR. Included are the morning lectures and afternoon workshops, a welcome dinner, an excursion on the last academy day, preparation material, reader, copies, internet access, refreshments during breaks, the farewell party…
Some (partial) scholarships might be allotted upon request.
Further information on the website.